It sure was fun to watch the events and competitions at this years Winter Olympics. The excitement and drama has ended and here are a few fun facts about Pyeongchang, South Korea and the Olympic Games:
- The 35,000 seat Pyeongchang Olympic Stadium was built to host just two events, the opening and closing ceremonies. They are planning to dismantle it and create a memorial hall and theater. This makes good sense, since the entire population of Pyeongchang (40,0000) could almost sit inside it.
- The estimated total cost of the 2018 Olympic improvements is $13 billion.
- South Korea racked up a record high number of medals for the Winter Olympics with 17, ahead of Switzerland (15), France (15), Austria (14) and Sweden (14).
- Over 1,200 drones were used in the opening and closing ceremonies to create a snowboarder and Olympic Rings. This sets a record for the number of unmanned aerial vehicles airborne simultaneously.
- This was the first time ever we could live stream 30 Olympic events in virtual reality using Intel True - VR Live Streaming.
- South Korea is considered the plastic surgery capital of the world. It is the largest market per capital for cosmetic procedures. It is estimated that 1/3 to 1/5 of all women have it done.
- Lastly and most importantly, restaurants, including McDonald's will deliver straight to homes in South Korea. Everyone loves home delivery!
Enjoy and record all of your adventures!